November 20, 2012

DIY Baby Leggings


I was browsing Pinterest the other evening while my daughter was sleeping and came across this tutorial for baby leggings. I've been inspired lately by some fellow blogging mommies to get super cute baby pants; check them out!

Hanes from Cara Loren!
And this little guy from Small Fry

I just fell in love with the stripes and bold Aztec print! They're so out of the ordinary and precious. I would never wear them, but on a cute little one? Ohhh yes!

I found some discounted fabric at a store called SAS here in Phoenix and knew it was perfect! It cost me a whole 99 cents! Granted, it has a rip in it and isn't very much fabric, but I have a ton left over for other small projects!

So, to make these adorable legging you need:
  • 3/4" Thick Elastic
  • Fabric
  • Scissors
  • Fabric Marker
  • Marker
  • Pins
  • Paper
  • Ruler
  • Lace (optional)
  • Pants that are the size you want to make
 Take your pants, fold them in half, and lay them on the paper(s). Trace around them, leaving a seam allowance. Don't add a seam allowance along the straight edge because this will be where the fabric is folded. I'll get to that in a moment. I also used a very thick elastic, so I added an inch to the top just to make sure I had enough room. If you're using the 3/4" elastic like the tutorial says, your top seam allowance should be 1 1/4 inches. This paper will be your pattern.


Now, fold your fabric and lay the straight edge of the pattern along the fold. Pin in place and mark an outline with the fabric marker onto the fabric. Make sure not to cut along the fold when cutting the fabric!



Cut another piece of fabric the same way. When you unfold the fabric it should look like this. The narrower side is the bottom. When cutting the second piece, make sure that you line up the stripe (or other pattern) to the first piece otherwise the stripes on the pants will end up crooked at the seam.


Turn the pieces over and fold the bottom up 3/4" and pin it in place. I wanted to spice them up a little bit, so I bought this lace for 25 cents per yard at SAS too. Score! Once I had pinned the fabric I flipped it back over to the front, arranged the lace where I wanted it, and re-pinned the fabric with the lace.



This is when I noticed that my fabric wasn't the same on both sides. I had to choose which side was going to be the outside (right side) and inside (wrong side). As you can see, one side has very small stripes outside of the larger stripes and one side does not. I chose the side that didn't have the extra stripes as my "right side."


Next, sew along the bottom edge. I used a zig-zag stitch so that the fabric has more room to stretch. You could also use a double-needle, but I don't have one. My fabric was quite stretchy, so instead of gently pulling the fabric as I sew, I just let it run through without any pulling so the fabric didn't wrinkle and crease. Also, I sewed on the "right side" of my fabric instead of the "wrong side" like you typically do because I wanted to make sure the lace got sewn on properly.


 I was lazy and didn't want to change my thread color. It was black so I thought it wouldn't matter since the pants are striped. Nope! I was so wrong! I had to change my thread to white so it blended with the lace better. The black thread took away from the beautiful lace!


After doing that to both pieces of fabric, place them on top of each other, "right sides" facing each other, and pin. Sew along the upper side slopes. Trim the excess fabric. See the lace? Ahh, so much better!


Fold the fabric the other way, matching up the legs, and pin. Sew along the pinned edge and trim off the excess.

Fold the top edge of the pants down 1 1/4" (or in my case, 2 1/4") and pin in place. Sew along the raw edge (not folded) and leave a 1-2" opening. This is the tube you will thread the elastic through. Thread the elastic through using a safety pin, make sure to leave enough to grab sticking out of both sides.



Sew the two ends of the elastic together using a zig-zag stitch. Make sure the ends overlap. Then pin the hole closed and sew it shut! Try not to sew the elastic to the fabric so it will have room to stretch as much as it needs.



Ta-da! You're done! Just turn them "right side" out. How cute are these? I just love that little bit of lace around the ankles! I can't wait to make more!



How did yours turn out? I'd love to see! Comment with a link to the picture below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts