January 14, 2013

Striped Beanie


I can never find a beanie that covers Aubrey's ears. I don't know if she just has a big head, big ears, or if they just don't make hats the right way. Or maybe a little bit of all three. I feel so bad when we're outside and her little ears aren't tucked away all cozy by her head. I figured I would just make a beanie for her, quick and easy! You could also make yourself a hat if you'd like.


I had bought some striped fabric from a discount fabric store in Phoenix called SAS. It wasn't much, but it was plenty to make the pants for Aubrey that I wanted {here}. I had some left over and decided to use it for her beanie!


What you need:
  • Pinking Shears (optional)
  • Scissors
  • Fabric
  • Hat (that fits)
  • Pins
  • Sewing Machine
I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures and some simple mistakes I made that caused me extra steps and could have been prevented.
Make sure that your fabric is stretchy, like a jersey knit. I traced 3/4" outside the hat that fits. Cut out two pieces with pinking shears (regular scissors will work if your fabric doesn't fray), make sure to align the stripes as best you can so that when you sew it together the stripes line up. If you're using a solid or patterned fabric, you could just fold the fabric in half and only have to make one trace and cut.


I wanted the hat to be slouchy and be able to fit Aubrey for a while, so I wanted to have an edge I could fold up, which didn't work out like planned. So, I would just add the extra length to where I traced instead of making extra cuts. If you can see above, I was working with a scrap of fabric and didn't have that option.


I sewed one of the top pieces to the bottom piece using a zig-zag stitch. Repeat for the other side. If you cut two pieces, instead of four like I did, skip this step.


I forgot to take a picture of this step, but fold the bottom edge of the hat up about 1/2 an inch, pin it, and sew along it. This will give your hat a finished edge.
Place the sides of your hat with the right sides (printed side) facing each other and sew around the edge. I made sure to line up the stripes here as best I could.


Then simply trim off the excess fabric and turn right side out.


There you have it! A quick hat for you or your babe! Sorry for the lack of pictures and extra steps. It really is quite simple, I promise! Now I have a hat that keeps my babe's ears tucked up nice and cozy against her head. I will definitely be making more, that should only take about 5 minutes instead of 10. Hey, it's a learning process!



1 comment:

  1. Totally what I need for my son- I love knitted items but sadly I don't knit and they are expensive to have made. Thanks for the How To lady!

    Mae
    www.thelifeofacompulsivecrafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts