Over the last few months of moving, living with family, and being strapped for money (don't forget the holidays) we've let our 'okay' eating habits turn into 'really bad' eating habits. So we've been making an effort to really start kicking those bad habits to the curb. We're about a week in and having some serious sugar withdrawals!
I think this is a great little snack for a late night sugar craving with a little protein. Not to mention its homemade so it has almost no preservatives in it, if any at all! Its super easy to make and so delicious! Try not to eat it all in one sitting.
I tend to 'jump the gun' and just add all the ingredients together before reading the directions, it worked out in my favor this time. For more detailed instructions (for all you perfectionists and patient folk) you can head over here, but this is how I made them!
- 3 Cups of Roasted, Unsalted Almonds
- 1.5 Cups of Brown Sugar
- 1.5 Cups of White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup of Water
- 3 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Egg White
1. Add all ingredients into a crockpot.
2. Mix very well until the almonds are covered in a sugary paste-like texture and there is no dry sugar.
3. Turn the heat up to high and let sit for about 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. You'll notice the sugar paste start drying up and coating the almonds, when almost all the paste has dried begin laying the almonds out to cool. You can use parchment paper, wax, paper, or aluminum foil underneath so they don't stick to your counter and are easy to clean up later.
5. Serve up and enjoy your delicious snack! Feel proud that you made such a wonderful thing, and don't forget to thank your crockpot for doing all the hard work.
P.S Next time I make these I'm going to use less sugar. I found there to be too many clumps of pure sugar for my liking.